Saturday, August 9, 2014

Meet the Teacher Night! & FREEBIES!

This week we had 'Meet the Teacher Night'! I was soooo excited to meet some of my new kindergarteners! They were absolutely adorable and so sweet. It was great to get to meet their families as well! At my school, our 'Meet the Teacher Night' allows the students and their families to see their new classroom, teacher, and drop off their school supplies. I really feel that it helps calm nerves for the students and the families and is a great way to kick off the school year!

I know a lot of schools have a 'Meet the Teacher Night' or something similar to it. I wanted to share with you all what I like to do in my classroom for this special night. I also have some FREEBIES in the post for you, so keep reading to grab them!

When the students and families arrive, I introduce myself and then hand them a paper that has a short classroom scavenger hunt on it.
    

I have had some requests to share my scavenger hunt. I left a large blank space for you to write your name and also changed the bottom of the page in case your first day of school is not on a Monday. Feel free to use it for your classroom if you can! :) 
Click on the picture below to grab it:
Fonts and Clipart credits: KG Fonts and Creative Clips

For the scavenger hunt, I first have the families find their child's seat. When they find it I have a large brown paper bag (donated from my local grocery store) at their seats so that they can place their school supplies inside.


Next, I have them go to my closet and find the hook with their name above it because that is where they will place their book bags on the first day of school.

Then, they head on over to my kidney shaped table where I have a 'Student Information Sheet' for the families to fill out. I like to have them fill out this information sheet because it gives me more information about their family, lets me know how their child will get to school and from school, and MORE! This information also helps for the first day of school!

I have these Student Information Sheets for FREE in both English and Spanish. You can choose from 2 different versions! You can grab this FREEBIE HERE.

At this table, I also like to place my Parent Handbook Flip Book for families to take home with them. This Editable Handbook has all the information about my classroom in one handout. I like to place a magnet on the back of them for parents to be able to hang it up on their refrigerators.

      




You can grab my Editable Parent Handbook Flip Book to make it all about YOUR classroom HERE.

Last on the scavenger hunt, I have the students find me and I give them some special treats! I give them glow stick necklaces, a poem for the parents, and another poem for the family to read to their child the night before the first day of school!

Here are the glow stick necklaces. I taped 2 stars together to have one side in English and the other side in Spanish.


I have the labels for these necklaces available for FREE in both English and Spanish. You can grab this FREEBIE HERE.

I found this precious poem for the families from the wonderful blog, A Cupcake for the Teacher. I have translated it into Spanish as well.

The poem I like to have families read to their child the night before the first day of school is from another wonderful blog called, Sunny Days in Second Grade. I literally tear up every time I read this poem! It is so precious!


After the scavenger hunt, I like to ask the families if they have any questions and then we say our goodbyes until MONDAY!! The night was so much fun and has made me even more excited for the school year to begin!!

Here are the FREEBIES you can grab in case you missed them above. Click on the pictures to grab these FREEBIES:


Click HERE or on the picture below to grab my EDITABLE Parent Handbook Flip Book:

Here is what I have placed on each page of my Parent Handbook Flip Book. Click on the picture to see it zoomed in. (**A HUGE update has been made to this flip book! Check it out!)
   

   

   

   



5 comments:

  1. Stephanie HarkinsJune 28, 2015 at 6:26 AM

    Hi Jaime! I just love your scavenger hunt idea! It's such a fun way to get students familiar with your classroom and excited for the school year ahead! So fun!! Would you be able to share your scavenger hunt paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! Yes definitely! I will add the scavenger hunt to this post by the end of this weekend :) Thank you so much for your sweet and kind words!

      Delete
  2. I love all these ideas! I used the poem and the flip book, and it was a huge success. :) I blogged about it on my blog and linked to this post. Thank you so much for posting those lovely ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I am so honored!! Thank you so much for sharing your back to school night and especially blogging about it! Means so much to me! I am so glad it was a huge success!! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    I was wondering if you could share the poems you've already translated? That would save me a ton of time and I would greatly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...