As many of you know, I absolutely LOVE doing themes in my classroom! I have been asked to share my year long plan that I do for my thematic units and I am so excited to finally have it all ready for you to see!
I know some people have mixed feelings regarding themes because they feel they do not always meet the standards, but I do have to disagree. I can't say enough wonderful things about doing themes! During my weekly or biweekly themes, I hit more common core standards than I can count! There are a ton of benefits that themes provide for my students that truly gives them so much growth and success!
Some of the biggest benefits I feel thematic units do in the classroom are:
- Gives a variety of learning
- Keeps students engaged through fun activities
- Makes for well-rounded students
- Allows teachers to integrate ALL subjects while using literacy within those subjects
- Students draw connections from the real world
- Helps students understand connections and how to make connections
- Makes standards exciting for students
- Provides a variety of activities for a standard
- Creates a community of learners
- Helps with vocabulary (especially for my high populated ESL students)
- Gives a great flow of standards and learning throughout the school year
- and sooooo much MORE!!
I can go on and on, but know you are probably ready to see my Year Long Plan instead :)
So... Here it is!
You can also grab my Year Long Plan HERE to download and print!
You can see each of these units in action as you look through my blog :)
I hope you enjoy my plan and that you find it helpful for you own planning. Each unit goes along with the Common Core for Kindergarten. I hope you can find these units helpful for your class :)