Saturday, February 22, 2014

Shapes, Shapes, Shapes!! & FREEBIE!

We had a lot of fun this week with our 2D shapes! We really focused on 2D shapes that we see in the real world this week. We could not believe how many shapes we see all around us! We did activities from my 2D Shapes Galore pack.

Here are some activities that we did this week:


I introduced the 2D shapes: hexagon, ellipse, and rhombus. We practiced tracing, drawing, and writing about the attributes of these shapes.
     




We practiced sorting pictures to help us identify 2D shapes and 2D shapes that we see in the real world.

We made 2D shape hats to go with our new shapes we learned.





We reviews our other 2D shapes by making mini 2D shaped books. Students wrote about the attributes and also wrote about different objects in the real world that look like that shape.
     


     

     


      

     



      


     

We used our 2D shape posters to compare the shapes and discuss the different attributes.



We wrote about 2D shapes in our mini readers!
      


         

I made a bunch of 2D shapes of all sizes and plopped a big pile of them on each table. I had my students create a picture of their choice using the shapes. Then, we graphed the shapes that we used in our picture. 
       

     







You can grab this graph for free HERE!

We ended the week Fishing for 2D Shapes!! I don't think I have ever seen my kiddos have so much fun! They had a blast catching 2D shapes and real world objects on their 'fishing poles'. They had to determine which shape the picture goes with. I am pretty sure they could have played this game ALL day. I don't think they even knew I was there!!










I had to share this picture! This boy was so excited about fishing and told me to take a picture of him looking like a fisherman! My heart melted! ADORABLE!

If you are interested in any of these activities plus more, you can grab them HERE or click on the pictures below.


Next week, we will be learning about 3D shapes! Here is a preview of the activities. You can grab them HERE or click on the pictures below.


I bundled up my 2D & 3D Shape Activities HERE



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your shape unit!!! It is adorable. I can't wait to see the 3D shapes!
    Kelly
    MyFabulousClass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...