Sunday, September 22, 2013

Reading, Writing, & lots of FREEBIES!

**Update: These activities for 'The Three Billy Goats Gruff' got a HUGE makeover!! You can continue reading, but also check out all of the updates by clicking HERE.

Throughout the week, I like to read lots of stories to my class. I also, choose one story as our focus story of the week where I teach different story elements and common core standards. 

This week our focus story was: 'Three Billy Goats Gruff'. I read this story 3-4 times during the week focusing on a new story element each time we read.


This was our anchor chart for 'Three Billy Goats Gruff'. We do one part of the anchor chart at a time and activities to go with it. We are working hard on learning about the characters and setting of the story as well as retelling/sequencing a story. I really like to make anchor charts for our focus story of the week because students can refer to it throughout the week and I have really noticed a difference in their understanding and comprehension of a story.


Click HERE to grab these pictures to make this anchor chart for your classroom.

I forgot to take a picture of this, but I had the students sequence the goats in the correct order that they went across the bridge. Click HERE or the picture below to grab it.

A new story element we started to focus on this week is: setting. I let the students recreate the setting of the 'Three Billy Goats Gruff'. We made the bridge and river. I also gave them the characters of the story so that they can retell the story. It was absolutely ADORABLE watching them retell the story! I loved hearing them say "trip, trap, trip, trap" when the goats crossed the bridge. I was so proud of how well they retold the story!
You can grab these character pictures HERE







We ended the week by playing 'Three Billy Goats Gruff' game. (FREEBIE!!)

How to prepare:
-Each student gets a list of letters and sight words. (I copy these onto colored paper)
-Each student gets 4 trolls. (I keep the trolls on white paper)
-Have the students cut out the trolls, letters, and sight words and place them in a brown paper bag.
-Give each student one page with the bridge, goats, and troll on it. (This is their game board)

How to play:
-Students play with a partner.
-Player 1 picks out 1 piece of paper from their brown paper bag (no peaking!).
-Player 1 has to say the letter or read the word. If they get it correct, they place it on their bridge. If they do not know what it is, they place it back in their bag. (I have them ask their partner for help before they put it back in the bag. That way if they pick it again, they will hopefully remember what it is.)
-Player 2 picks out 1 piece of paper from their brown paper bag (no peaking!).
-Player 2 has to say the letter or read the word. If they get it correct, they place it on their bridge. If they do not know what it is, they place it back in their bag.
-They continue taking turns picking 1 paper out of the bag at a time.
-If a player picks the troll, they have to put ALL of the piece on their bridge back in the bag.
-The first player to get their bridge full is the WINNER!

**At the end of the day I gave each student an extra game board to take home so that they can play with a partner at home :)

Grab this FREEBIE game HERE or click on the pics below:

   


   





Something I have to share:

One of my kiddos got done with their work early and asked if they could retell the story of 'Three Billy Goats Gruff' on the back of their paper. I said yes of course! I was not sure how they were going to do this, but when it was time to clean up this is what she showed me. WOW!!!!!



This week our sight word was: 'like'
In Science we are learning about the day and night sky, so I made our sight word book go along with that. Here is our sight word book displayed on our pocket chart for the week:



We circled the word 'like' in our Sight Word Mini Reader:





We also practiced reading our mini sight word reader with our whisper phones. These are our favorite! They are doing so great at remembering to point to each word as they read :)



We also did a writing book this week about things we like. You can grab it HERE or click on any of the pictures:




I was so proud of this boy! He wrote: 'I like rockets'. This was a word that we did not have on our chart. He remembered to sound out the word and to write down the letters that he knew. I am one PROUD teacher. The entire class did a happy dance for him!

**UPDATE: My mini unit 'The Three Billy Goats Gruff' got a HUGE makeover!! You can click HERE to read about it on my blog. You can also click HERE or on the picture below to check it out at my TPT store!


I hope everyone has a wonderful week :) Next week is apple week!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful ideas and printables! My kids are going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You are welcome! I am so happy you like them :) I hope your kiddos enjoyed them too!

      Delete
  2. This is FABULOUS! We will be using "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" this week and all of these activities are wonderful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That is so kind of you! I am glad you like them! I hope you and your class had fun with these activities this week! :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Jaime. I would be using the materials you have on these page to teach indigenous children from a far flung community. Thanks a lot for the bright ideas :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...