Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Numbers, Numbers, Numbers! & FREEBIES!

At the beginning of the year I like to focus on NUMBERS!. The first week of school, I like to review numbers 1-5 to get a feel for how well my student know their numbers. Then, each week I focus on a number for the entire week and teach them a variety of ways to show a number. 

I really like to teach my students how you can show a number in a variety of ways. I feel this really gives students such a deeper understanding of numbers and really helps them know their numbers inside and out! This also has led to lots of success when we get to addition, subtraction, teen numbers, etc. because they know so much about each number 1-10! 

Each week I focus on a number with my class. I also have a focus on how my students are going to show that number for the day. I have created a Numbers 1-10 Activities Pack that I do in my class each week. I do the activities in this pack for literally the first 10 weeks of school! However, the activities can be used any way that you want. After focusing on each number and using the activities from this pack, my students have gained incredibly deep understanding of their numbers and how to show their numbers in a variety of ways!

   

Throughout my blog (especially in the months of August, September, and October) you will see these number activities being completed by my students and how I use these activities in the class. 

Here is an example of what a week may look like. We are working on the number 2, so I have broken down what activities we do each day of the way.

I like to tie in the story we are focusing on during the week into math. This week we are reading 'Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes'. Another one of my favorites! 

Day 1 (Identify and Write the 
Number)
  • I introduce the Number 2 on my Number Board. We discuss the number, what it looks like on our fingers (great for turn and talk or turn and teach),  and the number word.
  • Then I model how to write the number 2. 
  • The activities we do to go along with the introduction of the number 2 are:
 Tracing, Writing, and Finding the Number 2

Rainbow Write and Fill Number 2
(This week we used Honey Nut Cheerios. YUMMM!!)
You will see other items that we fill the numbers in throughout my blog :)

  • To wrap up the activities and new learning,  I have a student come up to the board and write the number 2.

Day 2 (Making Groups)
  • Today, I display my Number Board again and I have students show 2 fingers and we practicing making the number 2 in the air with our fingers.
  • Now it is time to work on making groups of 2. 
    • I like to show how to make groups by having students get in to groups of the number we are focusing on, have students come up to my magnetic easel and make groups with the magnets, and my favorite is to have students make groups with manipulatives at their tables.
  • Here are our activities we did for making groups of 2:
We made groups of 2 with colored tiles


Count and Circle Groups of 2 
  • To wrap up the activities and new learning,  I have students come up to the number board and draw 2 circles.

Day 3 (Number Line)
  • Today, I bring out the Number 2 Board again and we review what the number 2 looks like, how to write the number 2 (write it with our fingers in the sky), and we practice drawing a group of 2 by making 2 tallies on the number board.
  • Today we will be focusing on showing the number 2 in a ten frame. 
  • Here are the activities we did for the number 2 and showing it in a ten frame:
I took out my SUPER LARGE ten frame and we retold the story of 'Pete the Cat' we placed the correct shoes in the ten frame as we retold the story all together.


I also had some of my students stand in the ten frame. (**Just realized we were standing in the wrong spot! Happy Wednesday!)

We practiced tracing and writing the number 2 and then we filled in the ten frame with 2 shoes (just like Pete the Cat shoes!)
  • To wrap up the activities and new learning, I have students show 2 in the ten frame on our Number Board.

Day 4 (Number Line)
  • I bring out the Number 2 Board and we review what we have learned about the number 2 so far.
  • Today we will be focusing on showing the number 2 on a number line. 
  • Here are the activities we did for the number 2 on a number line:


    I took out my SUPER LARGE number line and we each took a turn making 2 hops on the number line.
    We practiced tracing and writing the number 2 and then made 2 hops on the number line with our pencil and circled the number 2. We placed 2 shoes under the correct numbers on the number line. (just like Pete the Cat shoes!)
To wrap up the activities and new learning, I have students make hops on the number line on our number board and circle the number 2.

Day 5 (All About the Number)

  • Today we get to show all we know about the number 2! I take out the number board and we complete the rest of the board.
  • We also discuss the different parts of the number board to review all that we have learned.

  • Here are the activities we did to show all of our new learning and knowledge on the number 2:
All About Number 2
This page is extra special because we can show all about the number and on our own! I like to give stickers for this activity when they complete it to let the know how special and wonderful it is to show all about the number!

Number 2 Hats
These hats are a fun, cute, and stylish activity for us to celebrate all that we have learned about the number 2!


   



Here are also some mini readers we did this week for the Number 2. Guess What!?! These are FREEBIES!! (There are other Number Interactive Mini Readers for FREE in my TPT store as well!)
   



(Click HERE or on the pictures for the FREEBIE!)


Here is the other FREEBIE mini reader for the number 2 that we did this week!
      


(Click HERE or on the pictures for the FREEBIE!)


If you want to get ALL of these activities for the Numbers 1-10, click on the pictures below:
(Click HERE or on the picture to get these activities!)
(Click on the picture to get these activities!)

Click HERE or on the picture below to grab the Number Hats 1-10

Click HERE or on the picture below to grab the Number Boards 1-20

You can click HERE to grab the Number 2 Interactive Mini Readers for FREE or click on the picture below:


If you would like these activities individually and not all together, click on the pictures below! 







Or you can grab my Numbers 1-20 SUPER MEGA BUNDLE HERE:


5 comments:

  1. I love your number boards! Are those included in your download through teachers pay teachers or is there a different link? Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I have been getting lots of requests about the number boards, so I am going to put together a download on my TPT store no later than this coming weekend so that you can make these number boards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking for the Pete the Cat downloads. Mine kinders love love love Pete the Cat! Are those available on TPT or your blog? Also, would you mind sharing how you made the giant Pete? He's super cool :)

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME! I have taught for 16 years now, and I've seen most everything, but your week long practicing of a numeral is fantastic! I've tried that before (just not an entire week), but I couldn't think of enough STUFF to do with each number. You have a really good plan, and I'm gonna steal it ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy! What an honor! Thank you so so so much! I am so happy to hear that you have enjoyed these idea! The kiddos do so great with it and are so excited each day and for what is to come next! Haha, please do steal it! My students growth with their numbers has been amazing each year! Thank you so much for your kind words and for checking out my blog! :)

      Jaime

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...