Thursday, August 22, 2013

More Name Activities!

Names!
We continued to work VERY hard on writing our names by ourselves. I had quite a few students who did not know how to write their name. I am one proud teacher though! A handful of those students who did not know how to write their name were able to write their names by themselves this week! We celebrated their success with lots of happy dances! We did lots of activities this week to help with our names:

1. We read the story 'Chrysanthemum' which went perfect for a name activity!

Here is what we did:
        I typed the students names, but mixed up the letters. They had to cut out each letter and then unscramble them to spell their name correctly. Then they glued the letters onto construction paper and got to rainbow write the letters in their name.
        To tie in some math with this activity since we have been doing lots of counting this week, I had them count how many letters were in their name and they wrote that number in the blank.



(Click on the pictures for a FREEBIE! You will get the Chrysanthemum sentence and the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Poem)



Afterwards, everyone brought their finished work to the carpet and I placed numbers on the floor. Each student got the chance to tell everyone how many letters they have in their name and placed it underneath the correct number on the floor. This turned into a huge floor graph! We talked about who had the most letters in their name and the least. We had a blast!




(Click on the pictures for a FREEBIE!)



2. We read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Such a fun story! We made a coconut tree and placed the letters of our name on the coconut tree using foam letters. If only you could see my room during this time! A MESS!!! However, I was so proud of how well everyone did finding the letters in their name and cleaning up. (you can see the mess in some pictures). 




  We also added a cute saying from the story and the students wrote their names and how many letters they have in their name. I found this idea on Pinterest and on lots of wonderful blogs! I have this cute craft on my star student work wall to display in the classroom!

(Click on the pictures for a FREEBIE!)









(Click on the pictures for a FREEBIE! You will get the Chrysanthemum sentence and the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Poem)

I am so excited to share with you that I have put together name activities that is completely EDITABLE for you to use in your classroom! You can check them out HERE or click on the picture below:

2 comments:

  1. hi....i love this idea...how did you make their names??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! I have a tracing font that I use to make their names. I plan to make a name unit (hopefully sooner than later) that is editable so that you can use these activities! :)
      Thank you so much for your kind words and for checking out my blog! :)

      Jaime

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...