Friday, August 30, 2013

3 Weeks Already?! & FREEBIES!

My wonderful kindergarten class just finished their 3rd week of school! I can't believe how fast it has gone by! We have been working hard, having fun, and learning so much each day. They have really started to build their stamina at being at school all day long. (They were very sleepy the second half of the day for the first 2 weeks of school.)

Here are some highlights from week 3 of kindergarten:

Sight Words: this week we focused on the sight word 'the'

We traced the word 'the' with fruit loops! We got to eat the left overs too :)



I passed out large letters to the each student: 't', 'h', 'e'. When I would say go, they had to walk around the room and find other students with the correct letters to make the word 'the' and they would stand together to show me their word. (This went WAY better than expected, but with LOTS of modeling of the correct and wrong way to do it.)

I displayed our sight word book of the week on the pocket chart. This is a mini reader that I created called 'I See Animals'. We focused on our 'Owl Eyes' reading strategy this week which is when we look at the pictures to help us read words that we don't know.

Once we have done lots of practice reading on our pocket chart: modeled reading, finding sight words, reading strategies, choral reading, echo reading, I give each student their own book which is the same as what they have been practicing on the pocket chart.
Click on the picture for this FREEBIE!

 I have them do a picture walk and then go through each page of the book to circle the sight word of the week with a marker. This week our sight word was: 'the' so I had the kids circle 'the' on each page.




Grab this book as a FREEBIE! or Click on the pictures for this FREEBIE!

You can get 31 sight word books HERE!

We practiced reading our mini books as a whole group, then boys only, then girls only, choral reading, echo reading, and we got to use our whisper phones!

 We practiced writing our sight word with: 
'Tracing, Writing, and Rainbow Writing'.
      


Pete the Cat: Our story of the week was 'Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes'. We focused on retelling the story. I was beyond impressed with how well everyone did!

This is our classroom Pete the Cat that we love! His shoes change and we practiced changing his shoes to help us retell the story.




Here is our retelling anchor chart for the week:

We made Pete the Cat of course! You can grab this Pete the Cat Craft Template HERE





We also wrote about shoes that we love!

We finished the week by doing 'Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes' retelling page. 

Math: We did 'All About the Number 2' this week. We learned a variety of ways to show the number two. 


 


                       




                                    

                                                                              


Here are 2 mini reader FREEBIES all about the number 2!

You can grab ALL of these math 
activities we did for the numbers 1-10 HERE.

Can't believe we are starting September next week! Have a WONDERFUL labor day weekend! :)

28 comments:

  1. Sooooooooo cute! I love all of the Pete the Cat ideas! We are doing Pete the Cat next week while working on the letter "C" and the number 1. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a pattern to trace for the Pete the Cat your students made?
    Also, do you have a copy of the retelling sheet of Pete the Cat. I would like for my class to do the cut and paste.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a copy of the retelling worksheet for Pete the Cat, as well as the pictures you used for the retelling anchor chart Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniella! I wanted to let you know that I just emailed you the retelling activity and the information for the retelling anchor chart. Thanks for checking out my blog! Have a wonderful week! :)

      Delete
    2. I would also love to have a copy of the retelling worksheet for Pete the Cat and the pictures for the retelling anchor chart. I am currently a student, and I will be teaching my very first read aloud mini lesson next week. This would be perfect! My email is msu-kbertrand5@student.mcneese.edu. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. Great activities for Pete the Cat. I would love to have a copy of the retelling activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I wanted to let you know that I do not have your email. Send me an email when you get the chance and I would be more than happy to send it to you :)

      Delete
  5. Hello! I would love the pictures you used for the retelling anchor chart! We are doing this story, and I really don't want to hand draw them! Ha. (: kgoble89@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you so much! I actually got the pictures for the retelling chart from the wonderful Making Learning Fun website. Here is a link to the exact pictures that I used. I hope this helps! :)
      http://www.makinglearningfun.com/themepages/PetetheCat-EmergentReader.htm

      Delete
  6. Such great ideas. Thank you for sharing! Could I possibly get a copy of the cut and paste retell sheet for Pete the Cat? My students LOVE Pete! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Thank you so much for checking out my blog and for your kind words! I really appreciate it! :) Can you send me your email address when you get the chance? I would love to send you the retelling activity! Have a great week! :)

      Delete
  7. I would love a copy of the retelling worksheet for Pete the Cat, as well as the pictures you used for the retelling anchor chart Thank you so much rhoshoun@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terria! I am so sorry for this late response! It has been quite a busy month! I just emailed you the retelling activity and information for the retelling anchor chart :) I hope you and your students enjoy! Thank you so much for checking out my blog!

      Jaime

      Delete
  8. Hi Jaime! I would love a copy of the Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes retelling page if at all possible. Feel free to email me at slausoncn@gmail.com. Again, thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney! Thank you so much for checking out my blog and for reaching out! I just sent you an email :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Jaime,

    Would love a copy of the Pete pics you used for your chart and the fab retelling sheet. My email is: l.m.mcgowan@gmail.com Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I am putting together a lesson for an interview. I really would like to use your templates for the chart activity (retelling) and a copy of the retelling page! Please! It's awesome!!! mariposa12h@hotmail.com I'll be using your site if I land the job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! Hope you got my email!! Best of luck to you!!! :)

      Delete
  11. Hello,
    Is there any way you can email me the retelling sheet and the templates for the retelling activity? Great stuff!
    Thank you! aewest@bcps.k12.md.us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Thanks for checking out my blog. I just emailed you the activity :) Enjoy!

      Delete
  12. I would love a copy of the retelling and template for the anchor chart. They are perfect for our color unit next week. My address is carrie.karnes@nhcs.net. Thank you so much. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I just emailed you the activity! I hope you enjoy it with your color unit! Thanks so much for checking out my blog! :)

      Delete
  13. I love your anchor chart for retelling Pete the Cat. Do you have a template for Pete the Cat? I would love a copy. Thanks

    chiechik@tukwila.wednet.edu

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!!! I love your stuff!! I was wondering if I could get a copy of the retelling page and clip art?

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI!

    I've stumbled upon your amazing blog! I would love to utilize the Pete the Cat Retelling Information. Could you please send it to me at krocksarah@gmail.com!

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG I would also LOVE if you could send me the retelling material on Pete the Cat. Also, if it's not asking too much, could you send me a template for that cutie standing Pete you used in your classroom? Thanks sooooo much! My email is carol21463@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. May I have a copy of the retelling pictures of Pete the Cat also Thank you!
    JoyRiekena@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...